Visible from the road overlooking Les Vignes Ravine are four chimneys
from a French shelter built in 1890 to house reserve troops.
At the time of the battle it including a brigade headquarters,
hospital, and barracks for 350 men.
This is the entrance down the hill beyond the chimneys. The shelter was dug through 26 feet of rock.
On June 23rd, attacking Bavarian troops reached the shelter,
surrounding it. Unable to get inside, the Germans began dropping
grenades down the chimneys, casuing panic and devastation. This
continued the attackers were driven off by fire from Ouvrage de
Froideterre about 600 meters away.
Copyright 2010-11 by John Hamill