July 7, 1777

With no reasonable hope for a successful defense of Ticonderoga, Gen. St Clair and his army crossed Lake Champlain to Mount Independence on the night of July 6th to begin a retreat southeastward along a crude military road to Castleton.  St. Clair then planned to march his army southwest to Skenesborough at the south end of Lake Champlain to link up with Col Pierce Long and boats carrying men, weapons, and supplies from Ticonderoga.  The rear guard of around 1,200 under Col Seth Warner camped the night at Hubbardton in the Hampshire Grants - now Vermont - but of this total around 300 were stragglers.  A British pursuit force of 850 men under Brigadier Simon Fraser camped a few miles short of the Americans, and a reinforcing column of 1,100 men under the Brunswick General Riedesel camped a few miles back from Fraser.  Early on the morning on July 7th, between 3 and 4am, Fraser got his men on the march.  The British clashed with an American picket in the saddle between two peaks then deployed near Sucker Brook.  Ahead of them was a mass of American stragglers under Col Hale.


Monument Hill

As Fraser clashed with the mass of stragglers along Sucker Brook, the majority of the American force was in column of march along the Crown Point - Castleton road ready to continue the march.  Hearing the action, Warner moved his men from the road and into line on what came to be known as Monument Hill.

While Fraser and his light infantry attacked Monument Hill, the 24th Regiment attacked near the Selleck House and Acland's Grenadiers and a detachment of light infantry under Lindsay swung to the right - skirting the Mt. Zion ridge.  Acland clashed with Warner's Regiment along the road in the area on the left side of the panorama, and Lindsay overlapped the American flank.  The Americans fell back from Monument Hill to behind the Crown Point / Castleton Road, and Warner fell back too, refusing the flank of the new position.

The new American line was behind the road, with Warner's Regiment refusing the flank.  Acland attacked Warner while Lindsay's detachment of light infantry crossed a small stream and overlapped the American flank.

The American line along the road had been holding up well, and Fraser's left flank was under pressure.  By this point, Riedesel's Brunswick troops were arriving, having marched through the Saddle into the lower land below.  From there, with bands blaring so that the force would appear larger, Riedesel's men advanced around the American right flank, crossing the Crown Point / Castleton Road somewhere in this area and pivoting right and attacking the American line behind a log fence along the road on the left side of the panorama.

With the enemy overlapping both flanks, the Americans were forced from the field, fleeing across Pittsford Ridge.  The battle had lasted about three hours, but the pursuit was temporarily halted, with the British and their German allies staying at Hubbardton until the next day, leaving the main American army to retire unmolested.  Warner and many of the patriots regrouped at Manchester and menaced the flank of Burgoyne's advance.

Casualty figures are fuzzy, but the Americans appear to have lost 371 men, of which 41 were killed and 96 were wounded.  The British and Germans lost 70 killed and 148 wounded.  The checked British pursuit allowed St Clair's army to escape intact and survive to fight another day.  Learning of the fall of Skenesborough, St Clair avoided the area, marching more south than southeast.  Thinking that the Americans might have a naval presence on Lake George, Burgoyne advanced his army overland from Skenesborough toward the Hudson River, a longer route that required construction of a road.  This gave the American army a better opportunity to obstruct the British advance and gave them time to evacuate a wagon train from Fort George near the south end of Lake George.  The British, meanwhile, would be hampered by inadequate logistical preparations, but prospects still looked bright. 


Back to Revolutionary War Virtual Battlefield Tours