The fort on Mackinac Island was originally occupied in 1781. Construction was halted at the end of the Revolution since the post could soon be handed over to the United States. It was not until 1796 that the hand over took place. The British captured the island in 1812 but it was returned after the war and served as an army base for decades afterward.
View From the Fort
From Below the Fort
Blockhouse and Wall
Back to John's Military History Page
Continue to Part 2